To top off the recent exciting goings-on in Kechara Forest Retreat, we are pleased to announce and offer our congratulations to the first batch of Kecharian sangha!
On Sept 22 and 23, a group of five Kecharians were ordained as novice monks and nuns. They received their vows in a ceremony conducted by the Abbot Emeritus of Shar Gaden Monastery, His Eminence Kensur Rinpoche Lobsang Phende, and assisted by nine fully ordained monks.
In accordance with tradition, our novices also received ordination names to mark the beginning of their lives as ordained sangha. Their new names include a part of Kensur Rinpoche’s name, to reflect the lineage from which they received their vows, and are now the manner by which they should be addressed:
- Ordination name: Lobsang Phuljung
- How to address: Gen Lobsang Phuljung or Gen Phuljung
- Ordination name: Lobsang Drolma
- How to address: Ani Lobsang Drolma or Ani Drolma
- Ordination name: Lobsang Pelmo
- How to address: Ani Lobsang Pelmo or Ani Pelmo
- Ordination name: Lobsang Chokyi
- How to address: Ani Lobsang Chokyi or Ani Chokyi
- Ordination name: Lobsang Dekyi
- How to address: Ani Lobsang Dekyi or Ani Dekyi
Auspiciously, “Lobsang” is also a part of Lama Tsongkhapa’s name (Lobsang Drakpa). This is especially fitting as they will dedicate the rest of their lives to upholding Lama Tsongkhapa’s doctrine.
This ordination is the first step towards fulfilling our guru H.E. Tsem Rinpoche’s wish to have local sangha and establish a monastic institution that is entirely Malaysia-grown. These five Kecharians show what is possible when one commits to the spiritual path, and that ordination is possible for everyone.
Do join us in rejoicing and offering congratulatory wishes to them! May they inspire others to tread in their path so that the Sangha community continues to grow by leaps and bounds, carried by the waves of merit generated by these pioneering men and women.