Chagpori, Lhasa

2 May 2010 - 10:48am Comments Off

Adjacent to the Potala palace and named after the hill on which it was built is Chagpori, the first college of Tibetan medicine in Tibet. The monastery was established by Desi Sangye Gyatso in accordance with the explicit wish of the Great Fifth Dalai Lama in 1696.

Chagpori - the first medical monastic college

Chagpori was a monastic college where only monks could be trained as doctors and it focused on spiritual approaches to healing. Although it enjoyed a high reputation well beyond the borders of Tibet it was eventually completely destroyed during the invasion of 1959, as the Chinese viewed the school as a particular threat because of the strong connection with Buddhism.

For more information about tours to Chagpori, please contact discovery@kechara.com or call +603 7803 3546.

Healing Buddha statues in Chagpori

Comments are closed.