The Kechara Buddhist organisation was founded by His Eminence Tsem Rinpoche of Gaden Shartse Monastery, who makes the ancient wisdom of Buddha’s authentic teachings, which are timeless and universally relevant, available to modern practitioners in Malaysia and the surrounding regions.
We all come from different backgrounds, different walks of life, with different aspirations and dreams, but every single one of us seeks the same goal, which is to be happy. We often look for happiness in the material world, with retail therapy, acquiring the latest gadgets, fashions, travels to distant lands and the latest distractions. Yet, sometimes, what we are looking for may be right there in front of us.
Using creative and contemporary methods to reach the spiritual seeker via their natural interests, be it reading, shopping, art, travel, dining, etc, Kechara seeks to provide a comfortable and nurturing environment for spiritual aspirants to learn and equip themselves with tools to develop inner and outer peace.
Through Kechara, we find that we can live in greater harmony with each another, we gain respect for all paths so that we can understand each other better, we value all life forms because we share this space together and are dependent on one another, we embrace diversity so that we can enrich each other, and above all, we learn to awaken the great spiritual potential within so that we can live our lives with passion, purpose and joy.
Today, Kechara has grown to become 13 diverse departments, which appeal to the busy people of today with their individual interests.
- Kechara House – The main Dharma centre which is based on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Kechara Animal Sanctuary – A shelter for unwanted, abandoned and most helpless of animals.
- Kechara Care – An information and visitors’ centre for the organisation.
- Kechara Discovery – A travel consultancy which organises pilgrimages to holy places and sources for statues to complement the selection at the Kechara Paradise outlets.
- Kechara InMotion – A film production house.
- Kechara Lounge – An information centre and lounge overlooking the Boudhanath Stupa in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Kechara Media & Publications – The publishing arm
- Kechara Oasis – A new-age vegetarian restaurant.
- Kechara Paradise – Retail outlets in prominent areas of Kuala Lumpur and Penang, offering handicrafts and artifacts from the Himalayan region.
- Kechara Saraswati Arts – The first Himalayan arts studio in Southeast Asia.
- Kechara Soup Kitchen – A community action group which distributes food to the homeless and urban poor in Malaysia.
- Tsem Ladrang – The residence and private office of H.E. Tsem Rinpoche and the headquarters of the Kechara organisation
- Kechara World Peace Centre – The future spiritual sanctuary and alternative learning centre in Malaysia.
This video highlights some of what we do to make a difference in the world
With a strong online presence, KECHARA is also a virtual Dharma centre for those who have limited access to teachers and Dharma resources close to where they live. KECHARA aspires to serve all who enjoy H.E. Tsem Rinpoche’s unconventional method of presenting ancient Buddhist teachings in ways that are relevant to us inhabitants of the 21st century’s global village, while never losing or diluting the profound essence of the Buddha’s timeless wisdom.
At Kechara, we know how busy you are and we emphasise the practical ways in which you can integrate Buddhist principles into your modern life to find your own inner strength and peace. Through our programmes, you can truly transform your life, fulfill your potential, and discover for yourself and others a limitless capacity for love, peace and happiness.
Spiritual practice is not going to places and chanting, knowing the stuff and debating. Spiritual practice is the transformation of our perspective and how we look at things. It is how much your mind has changed from negative to positive. That is spiritual practice.
H.E. Tsem Rinpoche
Nothing Changes and While I Still Can